Nick,

The problem you describe can be caused without the use of yahoo imagery or
out of copyright maps. If someone surveyed a street in 2006 and it has since
been made oneway, it will not be updated unless someone is keeping a close
eye on changes made by local councils. If a country road is bitumenised, or
a road is blocked for traffic management, or speed humps are installed, etc.
etc.

Ideally all data would be derived from surveys and regularly re-surveyed,
but until such time as OSM has amassed such a huge amount of manpower, old
data is better than no data (to an extent.)

I think you should reconsider your notion of a street being "complete."
Perhaps instead of "has a name" we should define it as "has a name and has
source=survey and has been updated in the past 6 months". Currently there is
a large emphasis on naming streets (as shown by the noname layer, maplint,
etc.) but once all streets have names, the focus will shift. Currently I do
not know of any tools to highlight streets which do not have source=survey,
but I imagine it would not be difficult to do so.

~Cameron