On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 23:34:51 +0000 (GMT)
John Smith <delta_foxt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Sun, 19/7/09, Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> > Here is a screen shot of gpsdrive in car mode.
> >
> > http://www.4x4falcon.com/screenshots/gpsdrive_car_mode.jpg
>
> Can you do one zoomed in on OSM street data and/or showing some kind of
> navigation path?

Here:

http://www.4x4falcon.com/screenshots/gpsdrive_car_mode_mapnik.jpg

This shows all routing options turned on.

The redline is direct to destination, the green line is the route, the top bar
shows distance to next point and name of next turn point.

It will zoom in two more levels from this one which will show all street names.

This is the normal setup I use for mapping for osm, although generally without
a route active.

Swapping between osm and topo or gmaps is via the map control button.

You can turn the buttons on or off as required, eg in mapnik mode the zoom
buttons (ones with magnifying glass) are not really usefully so I tend to turn
them off if I'm not likely to use the topo maps.  This makes the rest of the
buttons larger and easier to use on the touchscreen.  If your not using routing
then the route and navigation buttons can be turned off as well.

Restart Track is the most useful as it saves the current track to a gpx file
and starts a new track.  These are time stamped gpx files so makes it really
easy to keep track of whats where.

Please note that this is not the 2.10pre7 version of gpsdrive, it is my working
copy and has the routing functions and some other items I've added for myself.
These have no effect on the display.

Hopefully 2.10 will be complete shortly and we can move on to 3.0 and add the
routing into the general release and several other nice to have items as well.

It does not yet do turn by turn nav but I'm working on it when I get some spare
time.

The routing engine for this is gosmore.

To get the functionality shown here you would need to compile from source which
is not difficult, full details are here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/gpsdrive/index.php?title=8.04_manual

It would be nice to have the deb install working perfectly, but that's another
issue, and is the main delay behind the final release of 2.10

--
Cheers
Ross