On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:41:41 +0000 (GMT)
John Smith <delta_foxt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hmmmm, gpsdrive isn't very friendly for small systems...
>
> 0 upgraded, 89 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 99.4MB of archives.
> After this operation, 269MB of additional disk space will be used.
>
> Not really wanting to dig into why there is so many dependencies, but mmmm...

That's one of the problems with the current deb packages.  Looks like I'm going
to have to get a 701 and try it out to see what these 89 packages are.

As there has been many changes of developers over particularly the last five
years and the original developer is no longer involved, a lot of "dependencies"
are still there but not actually required and that's part of the delay.

There are also capabilities which are builtin which really have no use to 95%
of users eg, friendsd, kismet.  I'd be happy to drop those and have done so in
my own system.  Really the program needs to be more modularised so that only
those parts required by the user are added.

Thus the reason I recommend installing from svn as the deb packages are not
really useful and then you can compile in only those parts you want.  Not ideal
but that's part of the joy of opensource.

The deb packages also try to install all osm icons whereas we do not need the
Japanese icons other than in Japan, and now many people change their icon style
once setup.  It should only install a basic package and then the user can
install others if they want to.

I have the 32gb sd card for the topo and gmaps only, if I did not want them I
would not need it.  On my eeePC 901 I've got 4.1Gb total used out of 16Gb.  I
know the 701 only has 4Gb but my install includes wine with Champainge Flight
Planner 500Mb and about 2Gb of music.  So there should be more than enough room
to install on a small machine.

While the program, when istalled correctly, works brilliantly, how to get it
installed correctly for all users is part of the problem.

I've been seriously considering branching of from the current development and
making a lighter package but it all comes down to available time.

Just spent most of today working with gpsdrive on the road and have about
250kms of new gps traces to upload to osm and discovered one thing I had
forgotten about, the programs logging.  It logs the gps position to a file
continuously, as well as to the gpx file, so that even if for some reason you
lose a gpx file you can still get your trace from that stored in the log file.

I know the others like navit are easy to install etc but can you use a digital
topo map with them?
What happens when you run out of osm coverage?

Any way each to their own I just found that gpsdrive was better than the others
when I first went looking.

Also pgsql is very low in overhead and no different to mysql and was selected
because it was the database engine used by osm.

--
Cheers
Ross