swanilli <swani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have tired to find some official definitions to clarify this.
>
> Here is the Australian Standard definition of a road from AS 1348?2002 "Road
> and traffic engineering?Glossary of terms":
>
> road: Route trafficable by motor vehicles; in law, the public right-of-way
> between boundaries of adjoining property

Wikipedia says:

A road is an identifiable route, way or path between places.

That definition isn't any more useful or relevant than the one you found.

> Here is a pragmatic solution based on AS 1348 and OSM custom:
>
> highway=road if it is open to the public and located between property
> boundaries, regardless of surface.

highway=road means "A road of unknown classification. This is intended as
a temporary tag to mark a road until it has been properly surveyed."

> If it is within a property (including National Parks and State Forests):
>
>    - unsealed: highway=track
>       - sealed: highway=service

How is the proximity of a property boundary relevant to the tagging of
the type of road? Tagging should be defined by things such as surface,
width, lane markings, what's at the end of the road, etc. As a map user,
it doesn't matter to me if the road is between adjoining properties, a
public right of way through the middle of private property, or a road
through a State Forest or National Park.
--
Sam Couter         |  mailto:s...@couter.id.au