On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> My 2 cents: anything that is less important than tertiary is:
>>
>> 1) if it is a named/public road:
>>  * residential if lined primarily with people's homes and used
>> primarily by people accessing those homes
>>  * unclassified otherwise
>> 2) service otherwise (unnamed or restricted access)
>
> What about service roads? They're lined with houses, and used primarily by
> people accessing those homes. Surely highway=service.

That depends what you mean by "service road". Following the scheme
given by 1) and 2) above: If it's named/public, highway=residential.
Otherwise, highway=service.

> Also, what about weird dinky little strets you sometimes get in suburbia that
> are paved with red bricks or something equally creative, but are also the
> primary means of access to houses? Residential or service?

Again, if named/public, highway=residential, otherwise
highway=service. That's what I do, anyway. If not fantastic, at least
it's simple. But this is now off-topic.