2009/12/29 Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com>:
> 1) if it is a named/public road:
>  * residential if lined primarily with people's homes and used
> primarily by people accessing those homes
>  * unclassified otherwise

In Australia unclassified usually only applies to rural roads, at
least that's what was agreed upon before I was involved, although the
Europeans also use it for industrial areas that are wider/straighter
than their narrow windy little residential streets. As a result any
routing software made by Europeans will favour unclassified over
residential.

> 2) service otherwise (unnamed or restricted access)

These days all public roads should be named, this was part of the
renumbering of rural properties thing to uniquely identify places, the
road number + road name + closest locality.