On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Luke Woolley <lswool...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bloody Hell. They have even blocked the custom field. I have a lot of choice
> words to say right now but shall refrain until I calm down! All over a bloody
> licencing dispute (which I don't like getting involved in unless I have to,
> which that time has now come)

Many OSM contributors want the license change to just be finished so
that they can continue to map.  There is a clear potential problem
with using NearMap as a reference.  Discussion between NearMap and
OSMF is continuing and it may turn out that this was all just too much
worry over nothing.  Or it may turn out that NearMap will no longer
participate in OSM by providing aerial imagery.  I enjoyed the
discussion with Ben and LWG yesterday and I'm looking forward to the
next discussion.

That said, there is no answer right now for what will happen regarding
NearMap imagery in the future.  Currently, OSM users may not use
NearMap imagery for deriving data for OSM.

You might choose to keep on mapping and enjoy your participation in
OSM.  You don't have to use NearMap imagery to map.  Consider this.
You may, if you choose, make another OSM account for yourself[1].  If
you do that now, it will be a CC-By-SA and ODbL account.  Then
continue mapping from your ground surveys, and or other permitted
sources.  Whatever the resolution with NearMap, it won't affect your
new account.

[1] OSMF LWG have issued a clarification that contributor terms apply
per account, not per user.