On 16 September 2010 04:02, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
> That said, there is no answer right now for what will happen regarding
> NearMap imagery in the future.  Currently, OSM users may not use
> NearMap imagery for deriving data for OSM.

Only users that have agreed with the new Contributor Terms can not use
Nearmap as a source, everyone else isn't restricted.

Which is the biggest problem with the new CTs it shifts the ability
for contributors to use sources of data to very few, while giving
commercial end users much more freedom, to me this stinks and the
contributors didn't even get much say in the matter, yet they will be
the ones to suffer the most.

> You might choose to keep on mapping and enjoy your participation in
> OSM.  You don't have to use NearMap imagery to map.  Consider this.
> You may, if you choose, make another OSM account for yourself[1].  If
> you do that now, it will be a CC-By-SA and ODbL account.  Then

Actually it can only shift to dual license once CC-by-SA data is removed.

> continue mapping from your ground surveys, and or other permitted
> sources.  Whatever the resolution with NearMap, it won't affect your
> new account.

No, but it will effect the quality and quantity of map data available
in Australia.