ohn Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is it with aussie humour that everyone else doesn't seem to get.

Ah - so you were being obtuse.  I had to reread my email a few times
to see if I had written something I didn't mean to.

> You completely missed my point.

Well,  I'm glad at least you didn't miss mine.

> I was suggesting there is always going to be data that isn't touched,
> either by the original author, or by others, if for no other reason
> than being very remote and some where few people ever go, let alone
> someone contributing to OSM.

As I said, data that just doesn't happen to be modified, due to being
in a remote or rarely accessed area, is obviously distinctly different
from data that we import into OSM explicitly with the knowledge and
intention that it should not be modified to preserve consistency with
an external source.

In my opinion, there is great value in the former, and very little in
the latter, since the most up-to-date version of the static external
source can always be incorporated as a post-processing step with any
OSM data. Of course external imported data that we can correct, can
save us time, and give us a better map quicker.

As an aside, as large and as remote in parts of Australia are, I'd be
surprised if you could put your finger on a way that will never be
touched again, either by on the ground survey, or by aerial
photography review.  If you'd care to name one, I'd be happy to place
a wager!

Ian.