On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 24 April 2011 22:18, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir <maxi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> As was said on talk, it seems pretty absurd to be moving an open
>>> mapping project in 2011 such that it is shutting out Ordinance Survey
>>> and NearMap when all they ask for is attribution.
>>
>> It's a GPL v BSD type issue, some people want share a like, others
>> think a BSD/PD style license is the way to go,
>
> No.  It's much closer to a Wikipedia transition from GNU FDL to
> CC-By-SA.  OpenStreetMap is moving to a license that is much better
> suited to data, while maintaining the Share Alike and Attribution
> aspects.

In my opinion,

Except in the process the OSMF is trying to have a special PD grant of
all data through the CTs. Which means a future OSM will only accept PD
data, yet publish it as a SA license (contract?), (which aims to add
additional restrictions upon copyright?, if geodata is free in the US,
OSM should be free in the US). I don't like not accepting CC-BY or
CC-BY-SA data for use in a project which is publishing
attribution-sharealike data...

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once upon a time it used to be almost a race to map out new areas from
> Nearmap coverage, now whole areas of coverage go untouched for months
> or longer...
>
> What was once a source of pride in the community can now only be
> described as a 'tragedy of the commons' now that the death knell is
> being tolled on the OSM-F...
>
> I have restarted mapping in earnest, but uploading to fosm.org, I'd
> forgotten how enjoyable it was just to get on and map large areas that
> are blank and to make the map slightly more complete, knowing that I
> wasn't wasting my time to only have my edits reverted later.

Once fosm gets a tile server (even a third party one) I'll probably
switch. In the meantime I thought osm edits were mirrored across to
fosm (though the more fosm gets edited, there will be merge edits,
which I'm not sure how fosm will handle.)

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Alex (Maxious) Sadleir
<maxi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> fosm.org looks pretty good with potlatch2. Just need a tile server or
> to setup my own again - how does one get a big fat planet.osm?

Agreed. http://planet.fosm.org/planet/ just seems to have diffs since
nov, but no sign of the planet.osm that one starts with before
applying these diffs.