On 11 January 2012 09:03, Glen Cunningham <g...@exemail.com.au> wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 January 2012 23:20:50 Sam Couter wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Is it selfish of Google or Nearmap to not allow use of their data
> > under the ODbL and CTs?
>
> Surely, a better question is why did Google and Nearmap make that
> decision?

I've nothing but respect for the way nearmap have played.  They have
commercial interests to consider, but have invested their money and time
(more money) to ensure that OSM was not obliged by them to remove any of
their derived data.  I think they are an example of best behaviour in this
circumstance - if project moves in a different direction, by all means
dissent, or even disengage, but don't take your bat & ball etc..

As to why Google don't allow use of their data?  I'd guess because they are
a commercial company trying to make money out of selling access to that
data, and they don't want someone else giving it away for nothing?

OSM is a hobby for most of us, and we have the intention of generating free
content.  Quite different to the motivation of most commercial enterprises
I would think.

Ian.