On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let's give it a few days, and come to terms with the effort we're facing and
>> the kind of changes required before deciding the response we need.  I'm not
>> convinced that having features drawn in without local knowledge or survey is
>> the necessarily the best way forward - especially in areas where we have
>> local contributors and knowledge of the areas requiring remapping.  So many
>> private roads, farm trails, gates, fences, etc.
>>
>> However, I'd renew the call for experienced overseas armchair OSMers to take
>> a look around and help in ways that don't require local knowledge.  Lots of
>> split objects, deformed coastline, waterways and other ways where nodes have
>> been removed, etc, that anyone who would like to adopt an area can find
>> easily and fix.
>
> IMHO it would be very beneficial to have overseas armchair mappers in
> whatever capacity they like. There are so many little roads around the
> place - I'd much rather have them mapped, with some inaccuracies (eg,
> access permissions wrong), than not mapped at all.

Looking at what the results of the redaction are, it would be very
easy and appropriate for armchair mappers to fix up Canberra at least
just by looking for nodes/ways without tags or ways that don't quite
connect (all the classic Keep Right validation rules would suffice).
Lots of corners that have had the roundness taken out of them but the
name/street type has stayed.