Nathanael,
There are no other codes/abbreviations available under opening_hours. The provision of the free text mode was I believe just for such occasions - including "By Appointment". While errors will occur they should be easy to check and correct. Even codes will contain the occasional error.

Speaking of errors ...
While making my changes to the Australian page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines

I note the follow things ...

There was the suggestion that the entire sports ground area should be tagged with leisure=pitch .. but the OSM wiki page on that says it is for the playing area ONLY. I have corrected this.

There is also the suggestion that the name= tag be used to signify the sport played .. if the name is not known. Again this goes against general OSM practice. As the sport played should be signified by the sport= tag .. and the name tag should only be used for the name. I have left this for the moment.