I'm an eejit; JOSM only complains if you don't escape the comment in the
opening_hours value with quotation marks. So your tag will quite happily
survive.

     On Friday, 25 September 2015, 16:16, Andrew Davidson <u...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

  I'd prefer going with access rather than opening_hours for a couple of
reasons:
1. Opening_hours is more geared towards POIs whereas access applies to ways
(which is what the wiki entry for opening_hours hints at).2. Putting in
opening_hours="Closed during Total Fire Ban days" causes the JOSM validator to
flag an error; meaning that your tag is only going to last until the next keen
JOSM user comes by and "fixes" it.
So something along the lines of:
access:conditional= no @ total_fire_ban ?
Whatever we choose is going to be very Australian specific. In the US it might
be something like:
access:conditional= no @ red_flag_warning

But a red flag warning is not the same thing as a total fire ban so you can't
use the same conditional.