Andy,

Absolutely. If the more specific language code is known, it should be used.

Do you know where a list of these language codes for Australian Indigenous
languages might be found? It took me long enough to find the aus code on
https://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php, and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-2_codes. 'nys' isn't listed
on either of them.

I'm no expert (I'm trying to learn more), but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_languages seems to
suggest that most of Australia can be considered to belong to the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pama%E2%80%93Nyungan_languages, but I can't
seem to find any sort of language code for that group.

- David