On 30/05/18 16:03, Jonathon Rossi wrote:

    I would say both of these should be mapped as bridges.

Problem: Personal discussion being shown on public list..
If you want more than the two of you  to contribute then hold the discussion here. :)

I'd like to, but the problem it causes is that trails in national parks and bushland are usually named, and MTB trails have other tags including difficulty ratings. By splitting these trails to add tiny bridges it makes it harder to maintain consistent tags on separate highways, I know of a few trails with half a dozen tiny bridges.

Do you see this as a problem? Or do you think I'm just making a storm in a teacup?

Routes can be had in a relation containing many things including bridges.
The difficulty rating could be placed on separate sections - the individual ways, or placed in the relation as the same for all the route ... depends on how much detail you want to get.

If the trail has the same name along all its length .. there is no problem in splitting it up and having the same name on the separate ways .. just like there in for highways now. It is a 'challenge' to maintain some of it .. but it is the truth and so that should be what is in OSM.