On 07/10/18 18:32, Andrew Harvey wrote:

I see the next steps are to:

- discuss if this is the right format for upload or not,

One question would be should we be putting a place tag on admin boundaries? According to taginfo only 34% of admin_level=10 has a place tag.

- how we'll manage that upload in terms of breaking it up into smaller pieces

I'd assumed that you'd be uploading them using an import account. How small to break them up into would depend on what's used to upload them. State-by-state does have the advantage that the existing state borders are going to have to be manual snapped to the imported boundaries anyway.

- if there is any re-using of existing ways or not

As several others have pointed out if we import the boundaries completely then mappers can manually snap them to natural features, roads, other boundaries etc to their heart's content. This step is optional as the boundaries will still be valid even if no one does any follow up work.

As a minimum the boundaries would have to be matched to the existing state boundaries, otherwise there will be overlaps or slivers.

- how to ensure we're retaining the existing LGA/Suburb data in OSM.

So I'm assuming here that we are not talking about NSW/SA/ACT. These have already been done from state data and if the PSMA data is different then we should be going back to the state data to check (at which point we're using the state data).

To keep history I thought we'd could keep record of the current relation numbers of the existing admin boundaries, scrub off the no longer needed ways, and once the new boundaries are imported swap the new for old. For boundaries that are currently closed ways we'd need to convert them to a one-member relation first.