On 24/06/19 18:19, cleary wrote:
In the past, I added some parts of the Gwydir River to the map using the NSW LPI Base Map
because I could not see a clear waterway on satellite imagery. Since then, I have visited
the area twice and cannot actually find a river where it is shown on the map. Much of the
"river" is in private property but public roads cross waterways at various
locations.

The western end of the Gwydir River seems not to exist except on the NSW LPI
Base Map and maps which have used it as a source (including OSM).

As far as I can ascertain, the river used to dissipate into wetlands and, if
there was enough water, the seepage from the wetlands re-formed into waterways.
However intensive irrigation has resulted in such low water flow that the
wetlands are largely dust and water seems never to flow beyond them (except
perhaps in major flood events which are relatively rare).  Water from the
eastern Gwydir may flow west to the Barwon River via Carole Creek into Gil Gil
Creek, via the Gingham Watercourse and via the Mehi River.  But the so-called
Gwydir River, west of the wetlands, does not appear to exist except on the LPI
Map. And part that of the waterway that does exist is signposted by the Moree
Plains Shire Council with a different name (Big Leather Watercourse) at the two
places where it crosses public roads.  GNB uses this name for another branch of
the river nearer to Moree but locals, including the local council, seem to have
a different view.

When visiting the area, I found water to be difficult to discuss with locals as
there are some strong points of view. Maintaining a river on the map may be a
political imperative for government but is not consistent with OSM's philosophy
of mapping what is actually on the ground at particular locations.

After reflection, I think the Gwydir River does not really exist west of the
wetlands and I think it should be deleted from OSM, even though it is shown on
the LPI Base Map. I propose to delete this section of the river and follow the
local council signposted name for the more westerly waterway that does actually
exist at Morialta and Watercourse Roads.

I would appreciate any views on this issue.

If deleted someone will put it back.

How about using the 'life cycle' tags?

disused? abandoned? raised? Disused might be a good fit.. thought with climate
change? abandoned:waterway=river??