I'm with Andrew on this one.  It sounds like your research is likely
superior to any other recent survey done in the area, and we're not
wikipedia here - we value ground truth / original research and it would be
a shame it it couldn't be mirrored in the map.

Personally, I'd change it to

waterway=no
note="blah"

because otherwise an armchair mapper will put it back (and I would too,
guilty as charged).  It's ugly and non-standard, but I'd do it anyway.

Ian.