The term "hospital" is subject to a lot of interpretation and is an emotionally
laden issue in many rural communities.

Many of the "hospitals" mapped in NSW rural areas (and presumably in other
states) do not satisfy the OSM definition of "hospital" and some would not
satisfy the definition of "clinic" depending on whether the 10 staff (as
specified in the OSM wiki) should be there at any one time or could be rostered
one, two or three at a time over the many hours of each working week. These
health facilities are important to their communities and to visitors. If this
is all the community has and they regard it as their "hospital" then I feel
reluctant to take it away.

In the event of an accident or urgent illness, where would local residents or
visitors go?  They will usually tell you to go to the "hospital" (irrespective
of its official title).  If one referred to a local map in an emergency, one
would hope the nearest emergency treatment centre would be clearly identifiable
on the map.

I reckon the locals would regard the Burketown facility as their hospital even
if it is not so named and even if it does not satisfy OSM criteria. Further,
the Queensland Health webpage states that the Burketown clinic provides limited
"hospital services".

The Burketown clinic is NOT a "medical centre". "Medical practitoners" (often
referred to as "doctors") have a special status in legislation and it would
usually expected that only registered medical practitioners practise in a
"medical centre". Anyone other than a doctor would work strictly under the
direction of medical practitioners in that location. That is not how hospitals
or public health services operate. To my knowledge, "medical centres" in
Australia are always operated by doctors in private practice. I am confident
that would not be the case in Burketown.

"Amenity=clinic" would probably be the other tag I can suggest, even if the
Burketown clinic might not satisfy wiki requirements for that tag either.
Perhaps the Australian Guidelines should permit the "hospital" tag where that
is consistent with usage of the term by the local community.