Hi all

I am writing as someone who does voluntary work for a Parks Service. I have personal experience with the loop: people use a path because its mapped, the path is mapped because it exists because people use it....

It takes an enormous amount of work to repeatedly deconstruct a track, allowing time for it to grow over, to be able to remove it from OSM because it no longer exists.

OSM should address the issue of things that should not be mapped. The rule "if it exists map it" is valid in 99.999% of the cases but nearly all would agree that women's refuges should not be mapped. OSM should portray the world accurately but it should also try to do no harm.

I can think of a few cases where the land owner or manager might not want some features mapped. I am not saying we should not map them. I am saying that we need to have a mature discussion about why we choose to or not to map them:

* women's refuges
* country wide 'do not map' requests
* military bases
* private property
* national parks illegal tracks
* rock art
* endangered flora
* sacred sites
* everything I have forgotten

Another question is how to implement it. Would a 'please do not render' tag be of any use?

Tony