Nov 30, 2020, 03:24 by ahhug...@gmail.com:

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks everyone for your feedback.
>
> We would like the culvert to be anĀ  'isolated' segment of road for a number
> of reasons. General (light vehicle) limits are typically signed however
> anything that is 'really heavy' such as a mobile crane, concrete pump or
> heavy freight are assessed individually. So for us, it's important that the
> culvert is identifiable

It is already identifiable as location where line representing culvert and line
representing road crosses (skipping cases of road tagged as bridge or tunnel
would
be needed to avoid rare false positive).

This requires some processing, but it is far less work overall than mapping
this manually.

In general mapping manually something that may be handled automatically in data
processing
is a very bad idea.

> Additionally, culverts can be quite wide (depending on the water body) so a
> point/node is not an accurate representation - they should be ways.

I once or twice split natural=water area of river (or waterway=riverbank area)
and tagged it with
covered=yes. Something similar for culverts may be also done.

>  This will also allow spatial relationships to be used with far greater
> accuracy & application.

Can you give examples of well mapped road and waterway geometry where tagging
tunnel=culvert on waterway is not sufficient and tagging culvert on road is
needed to
achieve this "far greater accuracy & application"?
> Please consider how important the location is for the driver/operator, and
> that the culvert is not just somewhere along a (long) length of road.

This should be handled well by existing tagging.

> Another reason is most bridges and culverts have formal
> structure/identification numbers.

Adding reference numbers to a culvert is possible already.

>  Placing this data into OpenStreetMap would be a great way to show what is
> possible.

What kind of data would require tagging culvert also on road?