Hi Frederik, Thorsten

1. "a park manager would prefer them not to, and therefore deletes the track in order to keep people from exercising their rights".

Does this happen, has it ever happened? I would be surprised if it happened here. Anyway its not what I thought we were talking about, illegal trails.

2. 3. and 4. "knowing which informal trails they might have taken can be helpful, might even save lives" possible but very unlikely. I could equally argue that the types of illegal trails that I am seeing, the "I rode my mountain bike down this way" type of trail (see #951362516 later) can reduce map utility, they are often barely visible but are rendered the same as the type of trail a lost person would follow. Neither Frederik's nor my argument is particularly strong.

I mentioned women's refuges earlier. Its irrelevant that we map the polygon but not the label. Its not because they are not verifiable, I could ground truth them by knocking on the front door and asking. We do not map women's refuges because that is the right thing to do. We search for justifications later.

Finally Frederik and Thorsten stress the importance of lifecycle tagging, access tagging and rendering by the data users. I agree with them.

We at OSM are not doing a great job of rendering. Go to https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-37.93168/145.30667
There are 3 trails,
Way: 476219417 which is access=no
Way: Granite Track (56176535) which is legal
These 2 tracks are rendered similarly, very few map users would notice that one of them was closed

We are not doing a great job on tagging either
The third track Path #951362516
is illegal but not tagged as such. The editor should know that it is illegal
they say "Probably unofficial but reasonably well used" there is a good chance they knew. It was clearly signed at every entrance to "stay on formed trails" and there are lots of maps on sign boards showing all the legal trails.

Now this trail is mapped, it is going to attract lots of traffic. Its never going to save a lost walker's life. Its going to take many many hours of volunteer labour to keep it closed for long enough to revegetate and get deleted from the map. That's the consequence of the Parks Service respecting OSM's consensus policy.

I support OSM's consensus form of government and as a consequence support the consensus position on illegal tracks. But it causes others a lot of problems and I think we can be more responsible and nuanced within the consensus position.

Tony

Hi,