You can "use any tag you like"
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like

To put forward another suggestion, you could consider using
operator:type:admin_level=4 for state, =6 for LGA and =2 for commonwealth.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative#Table_1:_Countries_using_admin_level_3.E2.80.9310

The admin_level tag I feel does a better job at coding the administrative
hierarchy globally, and ensures we don't need to consider the distinction
between a state/territory, or a shire/council. Plus it's already documented
and in use.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 at 12:38, Andrew Hughes <ahhug...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   Thanks yet AGAIN Andrew,
>
> I believe ...
>
> *operator:type:government=state*
>
> ...best suits.
>
> I can see us using wikidata for other similar situations. Thank you for
> also pointing that out.
>
> Thanks again,
> Andrew
>

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 07:00, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My opinion is it's better to keep the values high level as listed at
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator:type.
>>
>> I'd opt to instead use operator:wikidata=* to specify which government or
>> government agency is the operator and use wikidata to record other details.
>>
>> eg. operator:wikidata=Q1735793 (Main Roads Western Australia),
>> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1735793 which is recorded as part of
>> Government of Western Australia, which in turn is recorded as instance of
>> state government.
>>
>> operator:wikidata can similarly be used for Local Governments, Airports,
>> Ports, Forestry Corporations, private mine site operators, private retail
>> companies eg https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q18378048
>>
>> If you preferred to store this directly in OSM, then something like your
>> second option operator:type:government=state could work.
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 03:20, Andrew Hughes <ahhug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks everyone,  I just learnt a whole lot.
>>>
>>> operator:type = private
>>> operator:type = government
>>>
>>> Is a nice fit (thanks again Andrew).
>>>
>>> Now, to probably extend the question a little bit (sorry). What if I
>>> tried to add more specific info about the type, for example....
>>>
>>> operator:type=
>>>
>>> government:state
>>> government:lga
>>> government:airport
>>> government:port
>>> government:forestry
>>> private:mine
>>> private:retail
>>> private:industrial
>>>
>>> Or coule a new key (suffix?) such as ":subtype" get used...
>>>
>>> operator:type:subtype=
>>>
>>> state
>>> lga