How about your suggestion, assigning defaults based on urban/rural, which
you may be able to roughly assign based on buffering highway=residential?

Otherwise I think this will always be lacking in OSM until those maxspeed
tags are set.

In NSW we have some open data
https://opendata.transport.nsw.gov.au/dataset/speed-zones but the usual
issues about the accuracy of that data applies, but perhaps it could be
used to fill in the blanks?