Hi All,

First, I thought the tagging guidelines were "don't tag unless it's a
non-default value" (my language to describe this might be inaccurate, feel
free to improve). If this is true, then I shouldn't tag rural ALL
roads with  maxspeed. It's only those that are "non-default".

*Can anyone please confirm the above please?*

Secondly, it does look like there is a tagging for implicit (speed) values
as per
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed#Implicit_maxspeed_values
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxspeed#Implicit_maxspeed_values>
maxspeed = AU:urban
maxspeed = AU:rural

I believe that the above is better than tagging 50kph, 60kph or 100kph -
because a change in legislation (as has happened in the past) can change is
without tags needing to be updated.

But that all being said, I would still be tagging all roads and not just
those that are "non-default" on the ground. *Which contradicts the first
point (if it is true that is).*

This feels like a distinct gap in OSM (as others have pointed out). But
this is one I would like to know how to deal with.

Perhaps area's could be tagged with maxspeed=AU:urban or maxspeed=AU:rural
to define "implicit speed areas"? I think this might be what is missing.
*Thoughts?*

Thanks for reading
AH