On Jun 26, 2022, at 5:57 PM, David Vidovic via Talk-au
<talk-au@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> In regards to PSV (Public Service Vehicles), I understand this encompasses
> buses/coaches.
>
> For a "bus only" way such as a bus bay, I see common tagging [access=no] +
> [psv=yes] used.
>
> Does anyone know if a Taxi is considered a "public service vehicle" and
> therefore able use the busy bay way? Or does [access=no] inherently prevent
> this and it would need a separate [taxi=yes] tag?

It might be controversial to say so, but "taxis" meant (until maybe a decade
ago, with the uprising of the Uber's of the world, which are, in many places,
"not de jure taxis" but are rather "de facto taxis") a legally-regulated
car-for-hire (not "rental, YOU drive," rather "hail one" (or solicit a ride for
a fare at a taxi stand)).

A bus is clearly a "municipal vehicle" (public service vehicle, or some
widely-agreed upon flavor).  A "taxi," well, if it isn't what we used to call a
"yellow cab" (sometimes municipal, sometimes a "charter contract"
medallion-holding, regulated by both state- and municipal-level government
oversight / regulation), it might be an Uber or Lyft, or whatever.  I realize
that's a "rabbit hole" down which this tag / semantic goes, but I don't want
the distinctions to be ignored.

As to whether "bus bay" includes "taxis," well, I wouldn't say so.  "Around
here" (northern California, USA), we have "separate" infrastructure for these:
different lanes, different rules, different expectations by the users of the
transportation service.

Careful:  this is a wide semantic.  I realize I cross the "in the States" and /
"down under" boundary (being from USA, yet posting to talk-au), yet, OSM is a
global project.  True, you can make regional exceptions to tagging, but I'm
just saying:  be careful.  So far, so good.