I use Strava heatmaps only as a "referential" source, i.e. seeing potentially missing or badly misaligned paths and then taking a walk that way. In addition to other comments about using them directly, I'd also wonder whether Strava copyright allows it but have not explicitly analysed.

In Sweden, I have found them a great referential source, but then we have "all man's right" and off-path walking is not generally an issue so there are many useful informal paths.

Mike

On 2023-02-26 22:10, Adam Horan wrote:
My view is also that Strava heatmaps are insufficient on their own to prove a track. They do show that a reasonable number of people have passed along a particular route in recent times. They don't prove a path or track, and they give no indication of permissions.

However I did look for details of way 963735356 in the Strava heatmap, and there's very little in Strava in that area. It's possible the user did have the heatmap open in iD but didn't trace all the routes from there. Some might be 'local knowledge'.

I do make use of the strava heatmaps frequently to refine the route of known tracks, especially if there's lots of tree cover and you can't see the tracks too well in imagery. 10s or 100s of averaged GPS tracks is better than a single GPS track which you might record yourself.

Adam