Thanks Phil
You put it well.

In my experience we demolish the illegal track making it impassable and get an undertaking from Parks Vic that they will endeavour to maintain it that way. We add a lifetime prefix and as a matter of courtesy contact the mapper . So far it works.

Tony Forster
Friends of Lysterfield Park

Hi Folks,

Personally, I believe if the managing agency requests that the tracks be removed from the map then as good corporate citizens we should do everything possible to lower the promotion of such tracks. Track managers also have a responsibility to also actively advise people and if the area is high use then signage and rehabilitation at the locations will help.

Track rehabilitation, even when undertaken actively, can take many, many years and there will likely be remains of the closed/abandoned/rehabilitated tracks showing in some environments, on some imagery, for an extended period of time.

I don’t believe that the abandoned or disused tags adequately reflect the desire of the managers but it is supported by some. Some users may see those tags as an ‘opportunity’ to reopen the track and promote use back to previous levels and they may do this without the backing of the agency.

In a nutshell, in this instance, they are asking for folks to stop going there. I also feel that if a track has active rehabilitation being undertaken then a better tag would be rehabilitated:highway=type along with access=no. Many such tracks will get limited rehabilitation at the ‘take off points’ only and the rest of the track will be left to very slowly rehabilitate, maybe with some occasional bars to impede water flow and allow buildup of debris. Again, it will take many years for full rehabilitation to take place.

So my view is…

*       If you cant see the track on the imagery – delete it.
* If you can see the track in imagery – then tag it appropriately to discourage use as per the managers desire. Also work with the managers to actively close the tracks if you desire. Obviously if you are concerned on the tagging then its also likely that the area is a favourite place for you. Work with the managers! * Work with and encourage app developers to ensure suitably tagged tracks do not appear on public maps

Cheers – Phil (aka tastracks)

Full disclosure – I ran Track Management for Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife for many years so I am slightly biased.