Hi all

What is the OSM community issue with the concept of 'do not map this it
will cause harm'?

OSMF and the OSM community cannot stop downstream users from using data
however they like. It's open data, people may not even be aware that they
need to apply specific tagging for visibility or not.

The path of least harm is to let land managers remove informal paths and
leave them removed. It's quite straightforward. I've worked on one project
where having informal tracks visible on a map would have trashed years of
advocacy work. I've also seen that if a trail appears on a map, it gets
used. Others in this thread have given direct experience (ground truth if
you like, or as close as anyone will get to whatever people think
ground truth is) of when mapping trails leads to harm.

As an open data community, mapping responsibly comes before "map all the
things". This means considering that downstream users may not use data in
ways we would like or expect once it is there.

It's not even controversial that NSW NPWS would remove informal trails from
OSM. Heck, I would. I'd also get smart, and start to ask OSM to revoke
accounts of repeat trail remappers. Because see the second sentence in this
email. Also remember it costs actual dollars to keep re-remediating trails,
policing usage, monitoring which mapping aps are showing trails that should
not be there. So an abstract insistence on a concept which does not even
exist (ground truth) is sucking up real world time and money. Which, I'd
wager, could be far better spend elsewhere.

With regards,

Adam
--
Dr Adam Steer