I agree that population is not necessarily the only factor but, in practice,
population correlates closely with the services and facilities available in a
location which is effectively the "relative importance", isn't it?

I presume you are considering putting bigger dots and bigger writing on the map
 for small settlements in isolated areas. Map renderers can do that for
themselves if they wish. It is more important for OSM to show on-the-ground
truth.  If a small settlement has few services,  then showing it as a town is
misleading.

Windorah Qld and Ivanhoe NSW are both currently shown as "town" in OSM but
neither has more than rudimentary health service (if any), a hotel, small
primary school and service station. I couldn't buy a coffee in either place
last time I visited. I don't think either place had even a small supermarket or
convenience store. Unlikely to find a doctor.  Probably wouldn't find a car
mechanic, couldn't buy a new tyre if you needed one. The locals all travel a
couple of hundred kilometres for shopping, health care etc.  I find it very
misleading to label these places as towns, just because they are the largest
settlements in their respective vicinities.  The towns are the places where
people go to get the goods and services they need.