On 29/9/23 08:34, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
I was looking at https://profile.id.com.au/scenic-rim/population?WebID=160 <https://profile.id.com.au/scenic-rim/population?WebID=160>, but

I can't figure out what ABS geographic unit that lines up with. Maybe it's their own?

https://www.abs.gov.au/census/find-census-data/quickstats/2021/SAL32394 <https://www.abs.gov.au/census/find-census-data/quickstats/2021/SAL32394> says 320 ? I guess that's "town" vs area?

That quite common in rural areas. I've encountered cases where the bounded locality had a population in the vicinity of 500 but the settlement population was less than 100.

Just reading the wiki on it, & it mentioned showgrounds & Post Office. What do the presence of them do to the "relative importance" scale?

I'm not sure. I was wondering if people were imagining some sort of scoring system. One point for each person that lives there, then plus or minus some value for each type of urban infrastructure that it has or doesn't have.

I've been doing a bit of searching to see if I can find something that's already been designed, but haven't been successful yet. So far I've found:

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/standards/australian-statistical-geography-standard-asgs-edition-3/jul2021-jun2026/significant-urban-areas-urban-centres-and-localities-section-state/urban-centres-and-localities

This is what the ABS does.

https://www.health.gov.au/topics/rural-health-workforce/classifications/mmm#about-the-modified-monash-model

This is what Monash Uni has developed. It gets used to work out how rural somewhere is for the purposes of health based employment.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0094119020300838#bib0005

Now we're in deep dive territory. This is about what the UN has developed for their use.

https://ghsl.jrc.ec.europa.eu/ucdb2018visual.php#

Less useful, but interesting to look at. It's a dataset of urban areas made by remote sensing.