I think the only one who can take legal actions in OSM data is the OSM
Foundation. As you sign their terms of service when you start using the
service.

Anyway, maybe it's not a bad idea to set up the monitoring a bit more
organised. I'm monitoring this bounding box:
http://osm.org/?box=yes&bbox=2.89,50.87,3.29,51.01

It would be nice to gather who's monitoring which area, so we know every
area is monitored.

I also always check names I see for the first time, never seen real
vandalism, but often seen mistakes like non-connected roads, or tagging for
the renderer.

Greets,
Sander