It's not just this mailing list. Go to openstreetmap.org and try to find a
page in Dutch (for the Belgian community -- besides how to map a). Or even
try to subscribe to this mailing list without any knowledge of English.
I'm thinking of a whole category of retired people, that love to walk,
bike, ..., but never had the opportunity to learn English (e.g. my father).
You'll never reach them.
Compare this with wikipedia, where you have a language switch on the front
page, the first step is already smaller.

regards