On Tuesday 11 March 2014 02:21:28 André Pirard wrote:
> Thanks for drawing my attention to that table ;-)
> So, I think that the IGN/NGI classifications are more or less the same.
> They're based on kind of traffic (main/link/local),
>
> [...]
>
> OSM-be can raise dispute for Nxx or for special cases.
> IGN/NGI does not, but it can be plain wrong.
> Speaking of my two-road comparison, that one where lorries can hardly
> cross each other is red and where they have no problem it is brown.

Turns out that the wiki page I mentioned isn't exactly how it's currently done
in Belgium...

On the NGI maps I have the rules they use to classify roads are almost the
same as OSM, but they're using them much more strictly than us (I'm not
talking about motorways or trunk roads here):

NGI rules:

N#, N##, R#, R##: primary
N###: secondary
Road numbers with letter suffixes use same classification as if the number
didn't have the suffix.
other important roads: tertiary

OSM Belgium guidelines:

N#, N##: primary
N###: secondary
Road numbers with suffix: primary or secondary whatever makes most sense
R#, R##: primary or secondary, whatever makes most sense given the other roads
that cross the R-road
primary roads within an R-road become secondary
primary/secondary changes possible if they make sense
other important roads: tertiary
N- and R-roads can be downgraded to unclassified or residential if they're
really just a local road.

So, drop all the "making sense" bits in the OSM rules, and we get the NGI
rules :-)

But the wiki page should be adjusted to get the above rules, as that's how
almost all of Belgium is currently mapped...

Greetings
Ben