On 2015-12-04 08:13, joost schouppe wrote :

> I don't think it's realistic to ask everyone to translate into the
> three languages. It is too much work, but also: I'm not sure anyone
> would understand my French :)
>
> There is no perfect solution as some of us are monolingual. But I
> think we're actually doing pretty good. People do tend to write in
> English when their message is relevant to all Belgians.
>
> Some things we might do to improve:
> - try to write auto-translate friendly. So try to avoid typical
> expressions, mixing languages, etcetera.
> - try to be mindful of a conversation  turning from local interest to
> Belgian interest. Consider switching to English in those cases.
> - when you're interested in a conversation but can't follow because of
> the language, just ask for a summary of the conversation in English or
> the other  main national language.

Good thoughts.
Sorry I hadn't seen Lionel's message and Jo's and Joost's answers before
sending my last message.
(I'm a threaded messages display newbie ;-) )

First, I repeat, and maybe update, my previous advice for translation
for Thunderbird and Firefox:
S3.Google Translator (extension): no need to copy and paste to read
messages, just select.
This (the following) is done with it.  Even a "language learning" function.

Tout d'abord, je le répète, et peut-être mettre à jour, mon conseil
précédent pour la traduction pour Thunderbird et Firefox:
S3.Google Translator: pas besoin de copier et coller à lire les
messages, sélectionnez simplement.
Cela se fait avec elle. Même une fonction "d'apprentissage de la langue".

Ten eerste, ik herhaal, en misschien werken, mijn vorige advies voor
vertaling voor Thunderbird en Firefox:
S3.Google Translator: geen behoefte om te kopiëren en te plakken om
berichten te lezen, gewoon selecteren.
Dit wordt gedaan met het. Zelfs een functie "leren van talen".

Second, as an experiment, I used Google Translation from nl.wikipedia.
Google has a terrible problem with word order (1), for example, the verb
at the end of the phrase.
I understood most of the translation to English directly, but I rather
often had to read the phrase a second time to understand.  So, why was
it so difficult with talk-be?

"try to write auto-translate friendly" says Joost.
Perfectly true. When I write text on my Web site which uses translation
buttons, I often check the translation. But Google are a real pest, they
made a translation cache, they don't check the file date and you don't
see any change. So the trick is to write in Thunderbird and to check
the  translation with S3.Google Translator.
But this feedback process is tedious and without it it's only guesses.
The only advice I can think of is to make simple and unambiguous phrases.
I don't know Dutch enough to give advices for it.
But maybe Jo, who knows the three languages so well, could repeat my
experiment, see if he finds a translation quality difference and why and
conclude with advices to write his mother language more simply.

Hoping this can help,

André.

(1) I once put in the Wikipedia "Google Translation" page a Russian ->
English translation that said exactly the opposite because of word order
(but, as usual, they removed it and they asked me 2€ instead).