Pieter-Jan,
I often feel like I'm spamming people, but apparently some of the Gent GIS
people felt a bit the same as you: why did I know so late (I did contact
Thimo much sooner, and Geertrui came, so some information flow was there).
So lesson learned: I'll spam till I drop.

All,
I'm putting together a hackpad with things to do when a Mapathon comes up:
https://hackpad.com/Mapathon-Metainfo-and-evaluation-mlxQ0GwD8lb
Please feel free to contribute.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'm going to put all the e-mails from the
last couple events into a Mailchimp thing and send an "hi welcome please
unsubscribe if you don't want to know about all the cool things OSM be
organizes" first mail.

Yes, we do have a talk-be, but that's just a -little- nerdy for a lot of
people. I actually met someone - who shall remain anonymous - who works at
the VUB, is an experienced JOSM mapper and DID NOT KNOW the State of the
Map was coming to his very campus. And he even was accidentally subscribed
to the weekly Digest of this mailing list, which is of course perfect if
you like an indigestion. (I get my OSM mailing list overload by the message
in a label+filter subfolder in Gmail to avoid drowning).