I prefer to explicitly tag the roads with the maxspeeds and access
rules. The reason: why would we enforce data consumers to consult
another data source to find this data. Why make it difficult to merge
that data with OSM data ?

What's the next step for splitting data: keep the address data
separately ? Borders ? Walking networks ?

I find one of the main benefits that OSM is almost a one-stop for all
your needs. Splitting off all kinds of data means that we lose this
benefit.

just my .5 cents