Just some notes on waterway=river vs natural=water+water=river.

For me, a riverbank is either a line (a wall) separating the land from the
river, or a sloped land area with water-loving plants that can be inundated
when the water level rises.

When you describe the water of the river, you describe the river, not the
riverbank. And a riverbank isn't a waterway either (you navigate the river,
not the bank). It even causes some problems, like when you want to measure
the total length of waterways in an area, you have to exclude this strange
case.

So I would prefer to just rename all waterway=riverbank tags to
natural=water+water=river. But sadly, the term riverbank has also been used
for canals and streams (which sounds totally bonkers to me), so such a
conversion isn't possible when done manually.

The page describing the water=* tags also says nothing about using multi
polygons. It's just as fine to use natural=water on river segments.

So in short, I don't get why there are people who want to keep that
awkwardly named tag .

Regards,
Sander