On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 3:03 PM, joost schouppe
<joost.schou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In Flanders, the convention seems to be landuse=meadow for grazing lands,
> and landuse=farmland for growing plants. That's not according to what the
> wiki says (farmland could be grazing land). But it does make it easy to
> differentiate. I don't really care what tags we choose. But I wonder if we
> could tag things so that it stays easy to recognize "agricultural land of
> which we're not sure whether it is grazing land or plant-growing land".

You mean in case you are looking at an aerial image and want to colour
a part of the map ?
Or is this also a problem in case you surveyed the area on the ground ?

I just had to fix a few farmlands with orchard and plant_nursery, so I
am very sensitive to incorrect mapping landuse based on aerial images.

I rather see it not rendered at all on the map than with a wild guess

m.

p.s. from the landuse=farmland wiki page "Also note that many mappers
prefer the more specific tags landuse=meadow for meadows and pastures
(what is labelled landuse=farmland in the picture), landuse=orchard
for fruit orchards, and use landuse=farmland for cropland only."  I
assume this line was not added only for Belgium :-)

p.p.s. on the German versions of the farmland page, no one mentions
that it can be used for meadows  (although the use the same picture)
"landuse=farmland kennzeichnet eine Ackerfläche. Äcker werden zum
landwirtschaftlichen Feldfruchtanbau und zum erwerbsgärtnerischen
Blumen- und Gemüseanbau genutzt.

Für Grünland zur Tierweide oder Heugewinnung sollte landuse=meadow
gewählt werden."