In the end, there is no legal distinction between a vicinal path and a
vicinal road. We might even choose to delete that vicinal_type tag. On the
other hand there is a lesser known vicinal_type =  particular 'Particulier
/ Bijzonder'.
For the vicinal_ref tag, there is indeed no straightforward way to choose
between french and dutch, and there are several denominations in dutch. I'd
happily accept the vicinal_ref tag as such.