AFAIK the tunnel=building_passage, this is not a tunnel, but using the
tunnel tag anyway. I guess the same is true for culvert. I would not
try to come up with a definition that is also applicable to those 2.

Maybe my rule of thumb could be extended somehow for the metrotunnels,
which are clearly underground, and are therefore tunnels. For the mole
pipes, you write "dug out and covered", which is another indication
that it is a tunnel.

That being said, I guess you will never find a definition that works
100% of the time, because the real world is just messy.