additional things that can be part of the definition:
 - passages through embankments are (in general) not tunnels.
- when a road passes over another one, located in a cutting, does not
place the lower one in a tunnel (Antwerp ring road)
- when the road goes under a waterway, the road is in a tunnel

Again: exceptions will exist and they have to be seen as a rule of
thumb, not a hard definition.