Hi Joost,

Thanks for your comment.

For the trail_visibility: According to me, here the tag is fully relevant, the path is indeed sometime not visible, depending on the conditions, and users are mainly walkers, VTT and horses. That matches quite well the definition of trail_visibility:horrible as I understand it, and I could not find an alternative tag that matches better. => Even if the tag in itself is not the solution (not self-sufficient), I consider the tag relevant and I don't catch why it would be tag trolling.

Indeed the lifecycle prefixes are more relevant, and solve a big part of the issue. But I'm still not fully convinced, due to the timing.

Beyond the fact maps can technically be updated at anytime, I consider that a "validity period" matching both the OSM spirit and the respect of users (as well as device makers) should be something like [1..3] years for items likes tracks/paths/etc. (Target, not absolute truth!) => The disused: and razed: prefixes are clearly made for mid/long-term or one-time situations, not for periodic+cyclic short terms [1..3 months]. => OSM is "real/current state", old data (>2-3 yars) are to be deleted to respect the philosophy.

The second point indeed also implies that the real use for disused/razed is limited, since beyond 1-3 years the items would simply be deleted. Good point.

So, the lifecycle prefixes solution could indeed be better, also because it can stand this way until someone updates the bypass too. But, according to me, this solution is only usable IF there is a visible and short bypass close around (which is the case of my examples, ok). If not, then it appears there is no more trace, and users will just be annoyed.

Also, old GPS devices and devices not designed to support those prefixes will just hide the disused track, which disappears only periodically but could exist the day the user passes. According to me this is negative drawback: As a user I really would prefer to have the choice, and select the one I take according to the real situation the day I pass there. (No matters if the culture was removed the day before, we cant' monitor all these places on a daily basis.)

PS: I just tested the disused: prefix to see if it is rendered in some way on the default web layer... It is absolutely not visible, except in edit mode. And I really feel I lost the information I expected to find on the map, as a biker. I ride mostly to discover new paths, and I would have missed this one.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/716828273

NOTE: In Wallonia, the legislation clearly tells that if some culture invades the path, we have to pass on it. Only if it is not possible, we may take any bypass... (Farmers are aware of this.) This is why it's very important that users still pass on the official trace, the bypass may be forbidden at any time. And if the official trace is no more visible, then the path is lost since no more user will make the trace anymore. Ok that's not the problem of OSM strictly speaking but, well, it's intimately related anyway. No path, no map! :-)

Regards,
François