Hi John,

I personally think it would be better to do the cleanup immediately
after the import, or possible during the import. Of course it is very
tedious to do so, and it will slow down the import, but the person who
is doing the import, knows best which roads were omitted. The goal is
not to import as fast as possible (it's not a match), but to get high
quality data.

Here is the process I have done so far. When using the process with
RoadMatcher, I made sure that only missing roads are imported. Since
RoadMatcher isn't working perfectly, I added or removed some features
which should be imported. Then I uploaded the data, and after the
upload, I downloaded the area again, and made the connections.

Yesterday and today I happened to have imported a few sheets, where I
haven't used RoadMatcher, because it isn't working terribly well. What I
have done is basically Sam's more recent suggestion, to convert the
Geobase data to separate OSM files, and copy the features over which
should be imported. When doing that I made the connections immediately,
using the validator tools in JOSM to ensure that I haven't forgotten
anything.

It is slow, but after a while you get used to it, and you're able to
make more progress. So far, in nearly all of the cases I just extended /
shortened the Geobase segments, because the deviations weren't that big.
It didn't warrant the introduction of new segments, and it is also
inevitable that Geobase data would never be edited by a different person.

By the way, a tool that is useful, and which now has worldwide coverage
is KeepRight: [1]. It also detects missing intersections / overlapping
roads, and even stuff like one-way dead ends. There are many different
checks, which will all help us improving the data in OpenStreetMap.

Frank

[1] http://keepright.ipax.at/