Richard,
A mapper notices a subdivision in openstreetmap does not jibe with
his experience so he goes and traces it using his gps. He loads it
into JOSM along with the current openstreetmap data and the geobase
streets. He then notices that the existing data is worse than he
thought: streets aren't joined, streets are substantially displaced
from what the other data show and many streets are missing because the
displaced roads caused RoadMatcher to drop them. Further, the mapper's
trace and geobase are in good agreement.

This is not an exceptional example. I have encountered similar
situations many times.

Are you really suggesting that the mapper should spend hours massaging
the existing map into place and then adding the missing roads? The
alternative is to replace the area using geobase and then do some
road alignment from the gps traces, probably taking 1/4 the time.

In Southwester Ontario, I have found that the geobase data is
excellent for getting the topology right and quite good for location.
On the other hand, the concession roads in SW Ontario mapped before
geobase came along were 95% crap. That doesn't mean they should all
be junked wholesale, but if data shows a road to be awful and causes
a lot of roads to be dropped, I think it is fair to let a mapper fix
things in the easiest way.

--
James Treacy
tre...@debian.org