On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My objective at the moment is to get something sane that can be used
> by various groups in the city with GPS devices to tag trees, heritage
> buildings etc.

Leverage those people with geographic interests... If they go out to
tag a tree, and see that the road is out of alignment by a couple
metres, then show them how to enhance the map. That's what OSM is all
about, getting the community involved in making the map. As opposed to
Google, Mapquest, TeleAtlas, or whoever else, here at OSM, you as a
user can make the map, not just look at it.

Those who are interested in heritage buildings can put a POI in place,
or even better, draw in the building outline. These aren't quite
heritage buildings, but rather commercial buildings in a shopping
complex, but the concept is the same.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.4480357170105&lon=-113.482160568237&zoom=15

James
VE6SRV