see the conversation around changing coastal tags on talk@

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michal Migurski <m...@stamen.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:40 AM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Argh, Canvec imports
To: Talk Openstreetmap <t...@openstreetmap.org>

A cry of frustration:

I do bimonthly runs of the worldwide coastlines
(http://metro.teczno.com/#coastline), and Canada seems to be a
recurring source of problems. What the heck is going on up there? I
consistently see new imports of what seems to be Canvec data screwing
up coastlines and making for some deeply broken renders:

       http://mike.teczno.com/img/broken-coast.png

Most of that junk in the Atlantic Ocean is newly introduced within the
last few weeks, and is making it difficult to get out a clean
coastline suitable for rendering. It shows up in the main OSM mapnik
tiles in Hudson Bay, too:

       http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=55.7&lon=-83.6&zoom=5&layers=M

I've been trying to fix problems as I encounter them and I've managed
to fix invalid coastilnes around Baltimore, Houston, Tampa and the
dreaded Montréal area in an effort to generate a usable map of North
America, but this Canvec stuff is absolutely killing me.

-mike.