> From: James Ewen [mailto:ve6...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [Talk-ca] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Argh, Canvec imports
>
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I do bimonthly runs of the worldwide coastlines
> > (http://metro.teczno.com/#coastline), and Canada seems to be a
> > recurring source of problems. What the heck is going on up there? I
> > consistently see new imports of what seems to be Canvec data screwing
> > up coastlines and making for some deeply broken renders:
>
> From what I hear, it's people changing the tagging in an effort to tag
> for the renderer. They are changing tags trying to get the OSM map to
> look "right" to them. In doing so, it breaks things. With the bi-monthly
> rendering runs, it is possible for people to screw up a lot of coastline
> before finding out that they are breaking it instead.

I know that two people on IRC spent a few hours clearing up Hudson Bay and
the problems weren't tagging for the renderer, it was mis-tagging and
coastlines as multipolygons, of all things.

My view is that anyone who is importing in a coastal area needs to have the
skillset to make sure that the coastlines are correct, and if they cannot be
confident they are not messing the coastline up, they should not import.

Personally, I've found the best way to deal with CanVec coastlines is to
strip all the tags off of them, merge them to the right layer, and then put
the tags on and make sure they're in the right direction.