On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:

> I do bimonthly runs of the worldwide coastlines
> (http://metro.teczno.com/#coastline), and Canada seems to be a
> recurring source of problems. What the heck is going on up there? I
> consistently see new imports of what seems to be Canvec data screwing
> up coastlines and making for some deeply broken renders:

>From what I hear, it's people changing the tagging in an effort to tag
for the renderer. They are changing tags trying to get the OSM map to
look "right" to them. In doing so, it breaks things. With the
bi-monthly rendering runs, it is possible for people to screw up a lot
of coastline before finding out that they are breaking it instead.

With no hard and fast rules about what "should be done", people are
free to do what they want.

There was just a discussion about how to tag riverbanks and large
lakes as coastline just to get them to render at the lower zoom
levels. That sounds like tagging for a renderer. If I decide that I
want my lake to show up at a specific zoom level, do i change the
tagging to make it coastline instead?

--
James
VE6SRV